The three alpinists Juan Pablo Mohr, Muhammad Ali Sadpara and John Snorri started to storm the summit in the early morning hours of February 5, 2021 and have been missing for over 30 hours since then. On the same day, the Bulgarian Atanas Skatov had a fatal accident on the mountain.

The K2 demands another victim. On February 5, 2021, the expedition leader of Seven Summit Treks, Chhang Dawa Sherpa, announced that Atanas Skatov fell near Japanese Camp 3 while changing from one rope to the next fixed rope.

Atana was accompanied by his Sherpa, who followed the accident up close. Atana most likely made a mistake when changing the belay device from one fixed rope to the other and fell. The rope has not broken.

Chhang Dawa Sherpa, expedition leader of Seven Summit Treks

Atana Skatov was considered a very experienced alpinist, he has already stood 10 times on an 8m and became known for being the first vegan to climb Everest.

Three alpinists missing for over 30 hours

On the day of the fatal fall of 42-year-old Bulgarian Atana Skatov, Muhammad Ali Sadpara, his son Sajid Sadpara and the Icelander John Snorri made their final attempt at the summit. The Chilean Juan Pablo Mohr joined the three and tried to climb the K2 apparently without oxygen.

Yesterday at noon Sajid reported from Camp 3 that they walked together to the famous bottleneck passage at around 10.00 a.m. Sajid himself had to turn back from there to Camp 3 because he had problems with his oxygen regulator. In Camp 3, Muhammad Ali's son waited for his father and the other two alpinists for around 20 hours. He hoped the three would make it to the summit and then return to Camp 3. However, he could not stay longer in Camp 3 and began the descent.

On Saturday, February 6, 2021, at around 10.00 a.m., Chhang Dawa Sherpa reported that a Pakistani army helicopter flew to an altitude of around 7 meters, but could not find any traces of the three alpinists.

The weather on the mountain and also here in the base camp is getting worse.

Chhang Dawa Sherpa

While there is no trace of the three missing alpinists, it has been certain for a few hours that Sajid arrived safely at the base camp.

That might interest you

+ + +
Credits: Pictures Chhang Dawa Sherpa