Sport climbing, surfing, skateboarding and breakdancing are provisionally included in the program of the 2024 Olympic Games in Paris. In addition, the combined format should be dropped. However, the final decision will be made by the International Olympic Committee in December 2020.
After the four sports are now provisionally part of the official program, an evaluation process begins, ending in December 2020. After that, the IOC Executive Board will definitely decide.
Separate medal set for speed and bouldering / lead climbing
Petra Klingler2016 celebrated the bouldering world championship title in Paris, had the honor of presenting the sport climbing format in the session of the IOC on Tuesday in Lausanne as an athlete representative. The proposal provides for sport climbing a significant expansion and modification of the Olympic competition format. While only one medal set will be awarded in Tokyo 2020, two separate competitions will be held in Paris: Speed for the specialists in this discipline and a combination consisting of lead and boulder. Overall, 72 athletes would climb for Olympic gold. 16 women and 16 men in the discipline Speed, 20 women and 20 men in the new combination rating.
My wish is that we climbers and climbers can continue to live the Olympic Spirit thanks to the participation in Paris. In Paris, my dream came true and I hope that 2024 will be able to give other athletes such unique and memorable moments. Moments where you have tears in your eyes, but at the same time radiate happiness and feel gratitude in the heart.Petra Klingler
Boulder World Champion 2016
The provisional admission for the Summer Olympics 2024 also increases the expectations of the competitions in Tokyo 2020 according to the International Sport Climbing Association (IFSC). The success of the upcoming games will have a significant impact on the final decision.
Previous and future steps in the overview
- 21 February 2019: The National Organizing Committee Paris 2024 proposes additional sports for the IOC 4, including sport climbing
- 3 March 2019: The IOC Program Commisson advises on the proposal and passes it on to the IOC Executive Board
- 26. to 28. March 2019: The IOC Executive Board agrees with the proposal
- 24. to 26. June 2019: The IOC provisionally includes sport climbing in the 2024 program.
- Until December 2020: Evaluation process
- December 2020: The IOC Executive Board makes a definitive decision
+ + +
Credits: Text Swiss Alpine Club, Image IOC Media