The IFSC announced a few days ago that international competitions will take place again this year. The starting shot is fired in Briançon, France.
After reports of cancellations and postponements of competitions were constantly appearing in March and April, the IFSC is now communicating for the first time the dates for competitions that are to take place in the current year.
A first competition will take place on August 21 and 22, 2020 in Briançon instead of. Further dates are communicated as follows.
- Salt Lake City (USA), September 11-13, 2020: Boulder and Speed
- Seoul (KOR), October 7th to 11th, 2020: Boulder, Lead and Speed (dates still to be confirmed)
- Chongqing (CHN), October 23-25, 2020: bouldering and speed
- Wujiang (CHN), October 30 to November 1, 2020: bouldering and speed
- Xiamen (CHN), December 4-6, 2020: Lead and Speed
The competitions take place under special guidelines, which a working group developed based on the Covid 19 epidemic. What is special about the competitions is that no points are awarded for the results, i.e. the events will have no effect on the world rankings. The reason for this is the fact that not all athletes can participate in the competitions (travel restrictions, etc.).
The question therefore arises whether top athletes will even take part in the competitions.
+ + +
Cover picture Daniel Gajda / IFSC