From November 1st to 4th, 24 of the world's best climbers will compete in an epic team duel on the 180 meter high Verzasca Dam in Ticino. You can follow the second edition of the Red Bull Dual Ascent live on site or in the live stream.
180 meters, 6 pitches, difficulties up to 8b – the numbers surrounding the multi-pitch team competition on the Verzasca Dam speak for themselves. Added to this is the lineup for the second edition, which reads like a who's who of the international climbing scene and definitely makes a visit there worthwhile. The qualifications are freely accessible, for the final day you can here Tickets can be reserved free of charge. If you don't make it to Ticino, you can't reach the final Red Bull Dual Ascent follow live online.
Video: Jakob Schubert and Nika Potapova after the First Ascent
24 of the world's best climbers compete against each other as teams of two. The goal: to climb the six rope lengths on the increasingly steep dam as quickly as possible.
In order to increase this challenge of mastering all rope lengths without falling, the two identical routes have even more dynamic moves and jumps, as Jakob Schubert impressively demonstrated during the first ascent:
12 mixed teams
A look at the starting field shows that top athletes from all climbing disciplines are represented, from big wall climbers to bouldering and ice climbers. Some started together in the first edition and can draw on this experience, others will have to adapt to each other directly on the 180 meter wall.
- Petra Klingler (SUI) and Louna Ladevant (FRA)
- Andrea Kümin (SUI) and Sascha Lehmann (SUI)
- Angie Scarth-Johnson (AUS) and Felipe Camargo (BRA)
- Domen Škofic (SLO) and Vita Lukan (SLO)
- Jernej Kruder (SLO) and Julija Kruder (SLO)
- Luka Potočar (SLO) and Lucka Rakovec (SLO)
- Alberto Ginés López (ESP) and Jenya Kazbekova (UKR)
- Matty Hong (USA) and Nina Williams (USA)
- Shawn Raboutou (USA) and Brooke Raboutou (USA)
- Federica Mingolla (ITA) and Eduard Marin (ESP)
- Marcello Bombardi (ITA) and Giorga Tesio (ITA)
- Dylan Chuat (SUI) and Lucie Vaillant-Bultel (FRA)
Red Bull Dual Ascent program
ATTENTION: Due to heavy rain on Thursday, all qualifying rounds will take place on Wednesday, November 1st.
That might interest you
- The 10 most beautiful climbing routes in Ticino
- Bouldering world elite besieged blocks in Ticino
- 8C+ first ascent in Ticino: Yannick Flohé boulders Return of the Dreamtime
Do you like our climbing magazine? When launching the climbing magazine Lacrux, we decided not to introduce a paywall because we want to provide as many like-minded people as possible with news from the climbing scene.
In order to be more independent of advertising revenue in the future and to provide you with even more and better content, we need your support.
Therefore: Help and support our magazine with a small contribution. Naturally you benefit multiple times. How? You will find out here.
+ + +
Credits: Cover picture Redbull Content Pool